I've read and watched other "best of March" pieces and reviewers have been talking about how empty March has been. I have to assume these people have just not been paying attention. There's actually so much I like that I can't do a top 5. I can't even bring myself to limit this to 10 records. Spotify playlist Feastem - Graveyard Earth (grind) Ergotic - Ergotic (tech death) Aronious - Perspicacity (tech death) Earth Rot - Black Tides of Obscurity (blackened death) Wake - Devouring Ruin (blackened deathgrind) Carnosus - Dogma of the Deceased (tech death) Solothus - Realm of Ash and Blood (death doom) Neck of the Woods - The Annex of Ire (groovy death? Like The Red Chord if they kept to 4/4 for a whole song) Warp Chamber - Implements of Excruciation (death) Membaris - Misanthrophie (black) Perdition Temple - Sacraments of Descention (osdm Florida style) Molested Divinity - Unearthing the Void (tech death) Errance - Fracture (black) Escuela Grind - Indoctrination ...
I don't know why, but the UK isn't really a place I would instantly associate with black metal. Yes, I know about Venom. I know they exist thank you. I'm also somewhat familiar with others; Cradle of Filth, Winterfylleth, Akercocke, Anaal Nathrakh, The Meads of Asphodel, and a few others. It still feels like a very small scene with few established acts. With this third album being released by 20 Buck Spin, we absolutely need to add Wode to that list. If you already had Wode up there as one of the best black metal acts to come out of the UK, then you probably think you know exactly what to expect. Shit, you've probably pre-ordered the vinyl and tell everyone you saw them playing a pub in Machester in 2016 before the first album came out. Nerd. You're also probably wrong. Burn In Many Mirrors is still recognisable as a work of Wode, but feels a lot like a band getting comfortable enough in their leather jackets that they can start adding less kvlt patches and showing ...
My whole thing is doing a single article covering my five favourite records released each month. It's easy for me to keep up with (he says, having never posted an article on time) and it's theoretically of greater value than picking and choosing individual albums to review every week. This is concentrated curation. That being said, most months there are albums I really feel bad missing out. October's releases were so strong I can probably pull out another 10 albums that are genuinely worthy of your time. I'm going to give it a go now anyway, and you can let me know if I'm wrong. As always, these are in no order, and can all be found on my October playlist . Amiensus - Abreaction The fourth release from this American black-metal adjacent metal band. Atmospheric in places, symphonic elements used tastefully, brutally heavy when required. Really enjoyed this one. Inferni - Of Sunless Realms Malcolm Pugh is tech death's Misha Mansoor. I'm sure you know who Infer...
Comments
Post a Comment