My whole thing is doing a single article covering my five favourite records released each month. It's easy for me to keep up with (he says, having never posted an article on time) and it's theoretically of greater value than picking and choosing individual albums to review every week. This is concentrated curation. That being said, most months there are albums I really feel bad missing out. October's releases were so strong I can probably pull out another 10 albums that are genuinely worthy of your time. I'm going to give it a go now anyway, and you can let me know if I'm wrong. As always, these are in no order, and can all be found on my October playlist . Amiensus - Abreaction The fourth release from this American black-metal adjacent metal band. Atmospheric in places, symphonic elements used tastefully, brutally heavy when required. Really enjoyed this one. Inferni - Of Sunless Realms Malcolm Pugh is tech death's Misha Mansoor. I'm sure you know who Infer...
Here's the only death metal I've ever recorded. There's a few things I don't like about my playing. I wish I'd spend a little longer getting a few of the double kick parts down properly instead of going "meh that'll do!" - most noticeable in Manufactured Apocalypse, and also I should have insisted that the stick clicks be taken out of the song Face. But yeah there you go, pretty happy with it overall apart from that. Vulsellum - Face EP by Kieran McRobben
June was a very tasty month for new heavy stuff being thrown our way. I could easily have switched out the majority of this list for other, equally worthy releases. But it's a top 5, so I have to pick. I spent a lot of my time over the past week or so listening to new releases from June and July in the only time I could grab - either running or lying in bed with headphones on. The environment in which you experience music definitely changes your perception of that music. I learned that mid-tempo death metal has a kind of chug that's perfect for cardio work, and doom is a lot better when you are lying in the dark with headphones on. I've gone on long walks with the blackest of metal playing and found it compliments the slow pace, despite sometimes being faster than some of the technical death metal I enjoy. I tried to listen to my pick of the bunch from June, Creature's Ex-Cathedra, in a few different settings to see what worked. A long drive in heavy rain cemented it as...
Comments
Post a Comment